We all become sick at some point in our lives. Research shows that many illnesses in Kenya are transmitted by insects, animals, and contaminated water. Well, we frequently come across any of these and are at risk of contracting one disease or another. This is where health insurance comes in. When you get sick, it might be an emergency, and you would need, in some cases, medical costs that you might not be able to afford at that moment. Health insurance coverage will lift the heavy load for you.
About Health Insurance in Kenya
Kenya is a leading country in Africa when it comes to health insurance innovations. Various health coverage companies have brought about an environment of healthy competition, which brings the consumer to choose from the very affordable and convenient health coverage plans.
Family and Individual insurance plans can help you cover expenses in the case of any serious medical emergencies, and will further help you and your family to stay on top of preventative health-care services across the globe. Having a health insurance plan can save you tons of cash on preventative care, doctor’s visits, prescriptions drugs, and other frequently arising health-care services. The Standard health insurance plans for single individuals include costs like a monthly premium charge, annual deductible cost, and may also include coinsurance. Apart from this, you should also get enrolled with the NHIF for full potential.
Insurance companies In Kenya
- Jubilee Insurance
Founded in 1937, Jubilee insurance has evolved not just providing motor insurance but also affordable health coverage for Kenyans. They have a product particularly tailored for individuals and families. With their innovative J CARE product, you have the option to choose where and how you will receive your treatment. On top of this, you will also have the “JubiCare App” with easy to use interface.
Jubilee health coverage is available for all individuals aged between 1 month and 17 years for children and 18 to 60 years for adults. However, interested adults over 50 must have a medical examination from their certified centres before enrollment to the program.
- UAP Insurance
The company is not just a regular health insurance coverer. You will have the option to choose from a plan that best suits your needs. Some health coverage plans offered by UAP insurance include:
- Afya Imara Junior: This is specially tailored to cover your children below the age of 19.
- Afya Imara Executive: Offers a worldwide coverage plan that extends up to Ksh10 million for individuals and up to Ksh. 20 million for Families for inpatient services.
- Afya Imara Seniors: This plan covers individuals between 66 and 80 Years of age.
- Afya Imara County: You will be covered within county-level hospitals across Kenya.
- Afya Imara: Covers treatment across Africa and overseas, get up to Ksh. 5 million for inpatient services.
- Madison Insurance
This health insurance company in Kenya covers individuals between those ages of 3 months up to 70 years old. However, only individuals below 55 years of age can get enrolled in this health coverage plan. Also, their payment policy is quite flexible. There is no waiting time in case of accidents, 90 days for surgery, and 30 days for illness.
- APA Insurance
They have an affordable and comprehensive health insurance plan called Jamii Plus & Afya Nafuu. This health coverage combines Pre-existing, accidental or reconstructive surgery, Chronic, Congenital, cancer treatment, HIV/AIDS-related conditions, organ transplant, lodger fees, among many more others.
Here are other benefits of Jamii Plus & Afya Nafuu
- Outpatient cover
- Post hospitalization benefit
- Maternity cover
- Overseas inpatient referrals covered on credit under the listed hospitals
- Dental & Optical Cover
- Last expense cover
- Personal Accident Benefit Cover
- Britam Health Insurance
Their medical insurance is popularly known as Mediflex. It covers both inpatient and outpatient services. Britam health insurance plan exceeds just personal Insurance. It also offers its services to NGOs, any registered company, and Chamas with over 10 members.
- Sanlam Kenya
It was formerly known as Pan Africa Life insurance. The company has its branches in all major towns in Kenya and is a market leader in life insurance. In the section of health insurance, the company partnered with Bonitas and Fedhealth medical schemes to provide a flexible medical plan for both individuals and families.
- Heritage Insurance
This is another top health insurance company in Kenya. They enable you to choose from personal or family cover. Their plans are also diverse and include:
- HERITAGE FLEXI: Covers family or individual with residency in Kenya.
- BLUE: Plan tailored to suit health benefits to employers in Kenya and Africa at large.
- BLUE CORE: Covers inpatient, Chronic Care, and other Major diseases
- BLUE LITE: Covers Kenyan families residing in The country for outpatient services, chronic diseases, etc
- BLUE CLASSIC: Covers a vast East Africa region i.e., Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Tanzania, and Southern Sudan.
- BLUE PLUS: Plan covers the entire Africa region
- BLUE ELITE: This plan covers the entire world, USA, Europe and is suitable for international business persons.
- Resolution health insurance
Just like the other health insurance companies in Kenya. They also have individual and family packages to choose from. Plans include;
- Harmony Plan: Provides high-quality in-patient services shared within a family.
- Value plan: Provides high-quality, in-patient healthcare services for individuals.
- Outpatient Plans: Provides a wide range of outpatient services for their clients.
- Faraja Plan
Choosing the health insurance company in Kenya may be a hurdle. That doesn’t mean that you should opt-out of the services. Here is a quick checklist I came up with that will ensure you go for the best option.
- Go to your geographic marketplace and view your health plan options side by side.
- Decide which type of health plan is best for you and your family.
- Eliminate cover plans that exclude your doctor or any other local doctors in the health provider network.
- Determine whether you need more health coverage and higher premiums, or if you choose lower premiums and higher out-of-pocket costs.
- Ensure that any plan you choose will pay for your routine and necessary care, like your prescriptions and specialists.
Briton Ochieng’. A student and tech enthusiast who loves talking about gadgets and business.