A recent study has revealed that most traffic does NOT come from humans; it comes from bots.
You need to step back and think your whole website analysis process over again because it turns out that all the traffic that you see on Google Analytics does not come from humans. Even though you have an amazing design for your website, great products or services, and SEO optimization, recent revelations claim that this is usually for the benefit of bots. A plethora of bots visit your website and if you ignore that, you will send your business into a trench.
In the study, it was revealed that only close to 39% of total traffic comes from humans. The remaining 61% comes from bots! Out of this 61%, 31% accounted as ‘good’. Did you know that many bots just visit your website to check your contact details so that they can spam your email? A small percentage of bots are from hackers that aim at ruining your website. There are some that also post random links (sometimes malware) to different websites in the comments section and this can really annoy the customers. There are also impersonators that are not accounted for yet.
Even if you look at the wider picture without going into the details, it is quite shocking that all your efforts usually attract bots. The study analyzed close to 1.5 billion visits and then came to the aforesaid conclusion. Even if you disregard it by saying that the sites assessed were particularly attracting bots and this couldn’t be the case at all times, you can’t ignore the fact that in one year, the number of bot visitors has increased by 21%.
Almost everyone on the Internet makes decisions based on the traffic, the time duration, the pages checked, and other such details. This means that your decisions are mostly not even valid because 2/3rd of the traffic is robotic. You are making decisions thinking that the traffic is three times more than it actually is. Therefore, it is vital that you re-work your website, assess the traffic, filter out the bots, and only then come up with marketing plans, ads, promotions, etc. If you ignore the real metrics, you will be in serious trouble before you realize it.
It turns out that most of the traffic that your website is receiving is coming from bots. Filter them out before it is too late so that you know what your actual reach is and so that you come up with strategic plans accordingly.