Today, LinkedIn is the best platform to establish your business and to make significant connections.
LinkedIn is subject to change just like everything else online. New feature are being added every now and then to enhance user experience. However, there are things that will always stay taboo on LinkedIn. Do them and you will put yourself in trouble, be ignored, and may be even blocked by many!
- Don’t connect with everyone just to increase the number of connections you have. Connect to build relationships. Research the person and establish common ground before asking for a connection. If you don’t see a common ground, there is no need to connect.
- In groups, don’t make everything about yourself. Being self-centered is bad in every way. You will annoy everyone involved and that will hurt your credibility. Instead, post thoughtful and relevant videos and links. Everything that you do on LinkedIn should be meaningful and valuable.
- Don’t just create an account, fill in your profile, and leave it there. Keep coming up with updates even if it is only once a week. Inactive profiles will soon lose their value.
- Never put up broken links or old links. Some people even put up links to their own personal profiles. This will completely deviate the visitor from your business. Broken links are plain annoying. One broken link is enough to tick anyone off. If that happens, that particular person will never click on any of your links again.
- Stop spamming. Spam is bad and we all know that but there are still many people who spam on a regular basis. The rule is simple – if you spam, people will block you.
- Don’t use jargon or complex combinations of words. You may understand what you wrote but that is not even the point. Whatever you update should be easily understandable to the reader. Your language should, thus, be simple so that everyone understands what you are trying to say.
- If you copy-paste links they will be very long. Instead, use your public link. It is short and simple. Every profile has one and you can find it below your profile picture.
Avoid these blunders and keep your profile updated so that it has credibility.
Use LinkedIn properly and you will help business growth. Use it wrong and you will end up losing the credibility that you have. Don’t spam, don’t hog responses, and don’t post irrelevant, broken, and long links. Otherwise, you will be blocked.