It has been found that the placement of shelves, the placement of products, and the design play an important role in attracting customers and encouraging them to make a purchase. The best way to find out the tricks of the trade is to watch your competitors (who are doing better than you) and check out their stores. This is what many successful entrepreneurs have done including Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart. A few tips along these lines have been enunciated as follows:
- Make sure you provide large shopping carts to your buyers. Believe it or not, even this detail matters! Many customers tend to continue shopping until their carts are full and you can take advantage of this fact. Assess your business and the products you sell. Then, choose the largest practical size available accordingly.
- An observation reveals that buyers have the tendency to check the right side of the store first. They tend to move counterclockwise once they enter the store, which is why your highest profit products must be placed on the right hand side of the door.
- Where you place the staples is also very important. The staples may vary from store to store. For example, staples at an office supplies store include paper, cartridges, etc. Staples at a grocery store include bread and milk. These staples should be placed as deep into the store or as farther from the door as possible so that customers have a reason to explore the entire store. This will make them spend more time in your store and possibly make more purchases than they planned.
- Also, make sure all the important, high profit products are placed at eye-level in the shelves. This will up the chances of sales.
- Encourage sampling in the store. Customers like checking out samples and if they like what they are seeing, they will likely make a purchase.
- The space is also crucial and may cost you dearly because retail spaces are generally very expensive. That is why many people, especially small business try to build a world class business in a crammed space. Too much cramming can be a turn off. That is why, choosing an area large enough for buyers to move around comfortably will help increase business profits and keep the bills in check.
How many of these do you follow already?
The way you layout your store can play a very important role in boosting sales, which is why you must pay special attention to it. Small tactics such as placing staples far away from the door and at eye-level can make a great difference.
Image courtesy of [Idea go] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net