What catches your eye when you go through a magazine or a newspaper or a website? What is it that you first read? The headline. If you like the headline, you go through the entire article. If you do not like the headline, you skip it regardless of whether the article is informative. Thus, the headlines are actually the most crucial. The headlines decide whether the reader will stop and read what you have to say or whether he ignores it.
The Importance of Headlines Explained
You may wonder why so much importance is given to the headline in business communication when it is the article that contains information. There are two main reasons behind this. One is the fact that readers today have very short attention span. Technology has made us so fast paced that we don’t stop to think about what the entire article may contain. Thus, they decide whether or not they should read the article depending on the headline itself. Another reason is that simply checking the headline saves time. Readers do not like being disappointed after going through the content. If the headline appeals to them, thus, they will read the content. This helps them choose their preferred articles and save time as well.
Remember that headline writing is an important business strategy because headlines are important in every aspect of business communication including email writing, social media posts, press releases, and so on. Thus, you must ensure that you master it so that your business growth management is smoother.
Examples of A Few Good Headlines
- For marketing: Good marketing headlines include action. Encouraging people to act through the headline itself never fails. Examples: Five Things To Do To Stay Healthy, How To Leap From Being Broke to a Six Figure Salary.
- For stories: You cannot tell the entire story in your headline but you can invoke interest about the same. Examples: How A Monkey Saved His Buddy’s Life, From Being A Failure To Being A CEO.
- Make sure your headlines are targeted so that the articles appeal to the right audience.
- You could try extreme headlines. These catch attention very quickly. Headlines that express shock are a good idea, thus.
- Another suggestion would be to use challenging headlines that ask questions. These headlines connect with the reader. For example, Is Your Child Struggling With Math?
Paying attention to headlines while crafting business growth strategies will definitely help with business communication and that will in turn help your business flourish.
One of the most important aspects of business communication is catching attention and you can do that only if your headlines are attractive and relevant. Writing headlines that connect, ask questions, explain the call to action, or express emotions will help encourage readers to go through the entire article.