Every entrepreneur and business owner knows that people are the most import asset for any organisation and, therefore, a lot of emphasis is placed on their training and development. But, it is usually found after their employment and the initial induction training, their training stops there. But what is training and why is so much of importance attached to training?
Training is an educational process and it is the system through which knowledge and skills are transferred from the trainer to the trainee. One of the basic reasons for training is to reinforce the existing skills and impart new skills to improve their effectiveness at work. The essential goal of training is to create an impact that lasts well beyond their training and help incorporate the new skills and ideas at work. You may find that some members of your team are more skilled, better trained, and proficient than others. The others may require more training to come up to this level of skill.
What is the advantage of training to the company?
Studies have shown that there is a definite advantage to the company and the employee as a result of training, but the advantages to the employer are far greater.
Take a look at some of the advantages
- Decreased supervision: Training leads to reduction in supervision in his area of work. When the employee is adequately trained, he doesn’t need much supervision.
- Increased efficiency: Efficiency of the employee improves due to training and it improves his confidence level. There is improvement in the turnover of the company.
- Management-employee relations: Training leads to better management-employee relationship.
- Quality: Training improves and enhances the quality of the product.
- Infusing new technology: Once your employees are trained, it gives the company the opportunity to infuse new technologies easily.
- Increased safety: Training in health and safety reduces occupational accidents and injuries.
- Increased job satisfaction and morale: A trained workforce is a happy lot. We find that trained employees are responsible for increased production, reduced absenteeism, while achieving a higher job satisfaction, and having an improved high morale.
Take a look at the advantages to the employee:
- Improved self confidence: Training boosts the self-confidence level of the employee and he is also able to transmit this self confidence to other employees.
- Enhanced motivation levels: Training creates a positive attitude among the employees and increases their motivation levels while increasing production levels.
- Group co-operation: One of the advantages of training is increased group co-operation and group efforts. Training helps the employee to work together as a group.
- Increased competition: Training creates a sense of competition and he takes up the challenge by going in for promotions and higher assignments.
You need to verify the improved competency of the employees after training. This can be done by means of an evaluation which could be written, oral, or demonstration of specific skills, or a combination of all. Training is definitely a must. In a nutshell, the benefits of training include enhanced production, increased employee confidence levels, and improved safety levels, with a definite advantage both, to the employer and the employee.
This article deals with the importance and various aspects of training, along with the advantages of training to the employer and the employee. It is seen that every entrepreneur knows the importance of training and its uses and advantages both to the employer and the employee. One of the essential needs for training is to strengthen and increase the existing skills of the employee and to impart new skills to improve their performance. The main idea of training is to create an impact that goes well beyond their training and help incorporate these new skills and ideas at work.