Turnaround time is the time needed for performing a task, especially receiving, completing, and returning an assignment. Your turnaround time defines your efficacy in any task assigned to you. Therefore it is important that you work around what helps you improve it.
To do this you need to focus on the following
- List down your to-dos, noting their importance and urgency. This will keep you on track of what you should do and help you avoid veering off the line. Furthermore, it would be easier to incorporate any incoming tasks in your list, and also help in time budgeting.
- Do not wait for start time of a task after completing a previous one task. The sooner you start other, the thinner you make your to do list.
- Involve others in subjects that you do not understand, that is, avoid wasting too much time researching on something that you could possibly get from a colleague and move faster.
- If you do not have an urgent job at the time, switch constantly within your tasks to avoid boredom.
- Take a brake where necessary and refresh your mind to avoid brain clogs. Realize when you work best and maximize on that time.
- Limit the duration of personal phone calls while at work.
- Filter and prioritize on your emails, personal emails and chats will only distract you from your core point of concentration.
- Use your headphones to avoid background interference like noise made by typing, phones ringing, printers etc. At the same time avoid songs that have too many lyrics as they may distract your attention – listen to instrumentals, jazz etc.
- Close any applications that you are not using to avoid confusion and also to minimize on resource wastage such as computer RAM.
- Send in your finding earlier to give you ample time for any clarifications that may arise.