Stretching your work hours for no reason simply means you lack time management skills. You probably woke up thinking you would shelve up your work today, so your family can share some quality moments with you. But that never seems to happen. Either not being organised, or it is racing against time to not put things for the next day. And this shows you are weak in areas of work management or task management.Studies have revealed that long work-hours actually make you a couched potato. Being stationary at work with no physical activity can lead to obesity, diabetes and puts your heart at risk. We are all aware of these – consciously or subconsciously – but we follow what works the least to overcome these minuses.
Just think about how many total productive hours you have had at work today. Have you utilised all the hours available to you? You need to know how to keep things not necessary at abeyance.
Here are few time management tips from Kuza Biashara:
- Firstly, when you come to work you must know what you need to accomplish for the day. This happens only by a sound planning from the previous day. Keep the requisites ready just the previous evening, so things just move the following day
- Address all the major issues, if possible hold a meeting in the first hour of the day to do this. People are more receptive and energetic in the initial hours to implement the message
- Respond or acknowledge all the emails promptly
- Use technology (gadgets) to speed up work. iPads, Androids and other devices can help you
- Use an organiser or a daily calender. Mark the most important tasks and chuck them out as soon as they are done
- Hanging out too much by the snack or coffee-counter will only prolong your day
- Socialising is good, but not at the expense of your work piling up
- Revise your priority-list. It may well be that three-fourths of the works are perhaps are not worth topping the priority-list
- Punctuality and discipline – get back to school teachings. You will know why those basic lessons of life hold good to this day
- Try these out and see if your spouse and family are happier with you than ever
Stay in control of your day’s activities. Disciplines is the bottom-line to time management. You will be surprised you don’t have to stick to your work-place more than the recommended hours!